TheUtah A&E

Music, movies, and the world of celebrities--debunked.

Monday, November 23, 2009

Television Comedy

Who needs cable? I watch plenty of broadcast television to make up for coworkers, family, and friends. My favorites are comedies, not crime or medical dramas.

The CBS Monday lineup is great. I choose to watch three out of the four sitcoms. Because of the scheduling, it is hard to avoid the fourth. However, the network has so many shows in the pipeline that they extend comedy night to Wednesday. That's why I love the following shows:

How I Met Your Mother.
Accidentally on Purpose.
The Big Bang Theory.
Two and a Half Men.
The Adventures of Old Christine.
Gary Unmarried.

I've read many reviews that criticize shows that use laugh tracks. (Apparently viewers are not smart enough to know when to laugh. Don't these critics know that people are more likely to laugh out loud when they are in a group? Don't they know that vocal laughter works the abs? That's the only exercise some couch potatoes get.) I don't need executive cues to find quotable segments.

Here's one from Accidentally on Purpose on why Olivia can get away without paying the bill at restaurants:

Abby: It's because she's (whispering) Scottish.
Billie: Why are you whispering?
Abby: Because I'm (whispering) prejudiced.

But that doesn't compare to one from HIMYM when Barney and Robin become too complacent in their relationship and let themselves go. They see what they've become:

Barney: Why do that fat guy and old lady keep st--? Oh my god, that's us!
Robin: Look at us. Did we always look this awful?
Barney: Robin, I'm not happy. I mean, I wish I was. Nothing would make me happier than being happy, but I'm not.

But I really love it when shows poke fun at their networks. Chuck Lorre has been doing it to CBS for years in his vanity cards. Now and then, he'll work something into one of his two Monday shows. NBC shows don't hesitate to touch upon the fact that no one watches the Peacock. Between "30 Rock" and "The Jay Leno Show" you'll hear plenty of wise cracks to that end. I bet no one will laugh if NBC disappears, but aren't they too big to fail?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home