TheUtah A&E

Music, movies, and the world of celebrities--debunked.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Pushing Daisies is pushing daisies

Ned’s gift was governed by three simple rules: Touch a dead thing once, alive. Touch a dead thing again, dead forever. Keep a dead thing alive for more than a minute, and something else has to die.

ABC brought "Pushing Daisies" back after a season shortened by the writers' strike. Apparently they did not love the show the way Ned loved Chuck because they canceled it mid-season. Despite hopes that this quirky series could survive the swipe from ABC's finger, the second touch makes it dead forever.

Thankfully, ABC started the summer by airing three final episodes (on Saturday nights at 9 PM). The last few minutes were dedicated to wrapping up several storylines. I have transcribed these final scenes for your reading pleasure.

(Inside Ned's apartment)
NED: Chuck, I try very hard to be a good boyfriend. I believe that, every day, even in the smallest ways, I try to put your happiness before my own.
CHUCK: Yeah, I agree with that whole-heartedly.
NED: I've been lying to you. Not that it's any kind of excuse, but I think it's because I've been lying to myself, too. If Lily and Vivian knew you were alive, the only person in danger would be me. And the danger itself is a lie. It's irrational fear in danger's clothing, and it's whispering in my ear, saying, "Chuck loves her mother and aunt so much there's no way she would want to spend her life with you if could still be with them." And so I put MY happiness first and...told everyone that no one could know you were alive again...especially Lily and Vivian Charles.
CHUCK: You didn't know what you were doing.
NED: I do now. I'm finally putting your happiness before my own.

(Inside Lily and Vivian's house)
NARRATOR: At this very moment, a life event was taking place. Lily Charles had begun to experience feelings that had become foreign. These pleasant sensations were...not to last.
LILY: Coral? (Coral, an archrival of the Darling Mermaid Darlings synchronized swimming duo, walks out the door. Vivian throws a vase at Lily, just missing and smashing it against the wall.)
VIVIAN: Coral and I just had an illuminating conversation. One that helped me put together the pieces of a 30-year-old mystery. There was a part of me that always knew. But I wouldn't let allow myself to entertain such horrid thoughts, that my beloved sister would go behind my back with MY fiancee and have a child. It was Charlotte, wasn't it?
LILY: I tried thousands of times to tell you. But I couldn't find a way to do it. Why do you think I hid from the world? I was so ashamed, I couldn't bear to have anyone look at me.
VIVIAN: I understand. I can't bear to look at you, either. (Doorbell rings.) I took the liberty of calling you a cab.
LILY: Where am I supposed to go?
VIVIAN: Anywhere but here.
LILY: You know, I have spent half a lifetime trying to make amends. I gave up the only man I have ever loved as well as my beautiful baby daughter because I knew the truth would break your heart. So I broke mine instead. I did what I've done since the day you were born--chose your happiness over mine.
VIVIAN: You don't have to anymore.
(Before Lily can respond, the doorbell rings.)
LILY: (She scoffs.) Oh, all right.
(Lily and Vivian see Chuck for the first time since her funeral standing in the doorway with Ned.)
CHUCK: Lily, Vivian...
NARRATOR: At that very moment, time stopped, as it is wont to do when present, past, and future collide. When's one existence ceases to be measured in days, hours, and minutes, but instead in the immeasurable quantity of life events. For Lily and Vivian Charles, the reappearance of a daughter and niece was a life event that would eventually overshadow a 30-year-old betrayal would result in a splash of water, the roar of the crowd, and a whirlwind tour around the world...twice.

NARRATOR: Private investigator Emerson Cod would experience a life event when life found him in through pages of a pop-up book and he was reunited with his own little gumshoe.
PENNY: I'm looking for Emerson Cod. (Penny stands as a shadow outside Cod's door.)

NARRATOR: Jockey-cum-waitress-cum-private investigator Olive Snook would experience two life events in quick succession--the first, opening her heart to a formerly friendless taxidermist, and the second by opening a culinary palace dedicated to the art of macaroni and cheese called "The Intrepid Cow."

NARRATOR: For the pie maker and a dead girl names Chuck, their shared life event began with a touch and and became the promise of a new family brought about by the words...
CHUCK: I'm alive. (Ned forms an awkward smile, and the others follow happily.)

NARRATOR: At that very moment in the town of Coeur d’Coeurs, events occurred that are not, were not, should never be considered an ending, for endings, as it is known, are where we begin. (The final scene shows Digby running through a field of flowers.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home