TheUtah A&E

Music, movies, and the world of celebrities--debunked.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Last Comic Standing - International Audition

Despite the amount of television (including reality TV) scheduled into my day, this will be the first season of "Last Comic Standing" I plan to watch. In previous seasons, I have seen short portions of the show and previews for upcoming shows. (Some major reality shows do not have to be viewed to understand--American Idol, Survivor, Biggest Loser, Bachelor/Bachelorette, etc. I finally watched my first season of Survivor with Fans vs Favorites.)

Now that the 32 semi-finalists have been selected for competition in Las Vegas, I ought to share a few thoughts. First, I was surprised by some selections for the semi-finals. For example, the prop comic who auditioned in Miami did not seem to have enough material to survive multiple rounds of competition. Second, there have been many funny comics who did not make it past the local showcase. Like several "talent scouts" admitted, stand up comedy is not for everyone, but if he or she can make me laugh out loud while I'm sitting at home alone, that person deserves further consideration. There were two comics from the international round in Miami who did just that. Only one moved on. Here are their funny segments:

"I went fishing the other day. Why is there an urge when you're in a boat to wave at strangers in another boat? You don't do that driving down the highway. The thing I realized--the whole process of going fishing is like picking up women. You gotta have good tackle, the right line. If it's not working out, you move spots. And even if you get a nibble, it doesn't mean you're gonna land one. And if you land one, you gotta make sure it's legal."

"India is quite different from what you might imagine. No 7-Elevens. No taxi drivers. The whole country is full of computer programmers...and call centers....I flew here via England. I realized India is a much more advanced country. Our kings and princes marry beautiful women. [mixed reaction from the crowd] If an Indian king married Camilla, we'd worship her...because in our country, cows are sacred. Wait a second, now he's [pointing to an audience member] wondering, 'Is that politically correct? I'm not sure he's going to win.' I am Indian, and this is a reality show. How do you win? Maximum number of votes. How do you vote? You call in. Who the hell is answering all of those phone calls?"

I look forward to more laugh out loud moments as the season progresses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home